Honduras: the Human Rights Emergency Continues

Below is a summary of the human rights violations that took place on Wednesday, March 30th across Honduras during the day-long national civic strike. The reported violations include illegal detentions, beatings and excessive use of force (including tear gas) by military and police, attempted kidnapping of an employee of the Commission of Truth (Comisión de Verdad), a violent eviction of a community that had been established for seven years, and one death due to live ammunition fired by state forces.

COFADEH is asking international solidarity groups to call for an end to the disproportionate violence, repression and criminalization campaigns that the militarized forces have launched against the civilian population. Please see the Friendship Office’s Urgent Action from March 31st for further information.


Below is a summary of the human rights violations that took place on Wednesday, March 30th across Honduras during the day-long national civic strike. The reported violations include illegal detentions, beatings and excessive use of force (including tear gas) by military and police, attempted kidnapping of an employee of the Commission of Truth (Comisión de Verdad), a violent eviction of a community that had been established for seven years, and one death due to live ammunition fired by state forces. COFADEH is asking international solidarity groups to call for an end to the disproportionate violence and repression that the militarized forces have launched against the civilian population. Please see the Friendship Office's Urgent Action from March 31st for further information. ---------------- Original Spanish message is below.

The Committee of the Families of the Disappeared Detainees in Honduras

Honduras: the Human Rights Emergency Continues

Before the brief pause today, Thursday, March 31, and apparent stability due to discussions between the National Congress and the leadership of the Federation of Teachers’ Organizations of Honduras (FOMH), the citizenry suffered its worst period of human rights violations; a state of emergency that, without a doubt, implicates the police and army of the defacto regime that rules this country.

The events which occurred in a systematic manner for the past three weeks, with the direct participation of the administrative apparatus of the State and its instruments of violence—-the National Police and the Army—-have brought again some minor international attention to Honduras.

The attention of the world community to the crisis generated by the coup and coup ideology is still insufficient, but it is key to brewing institutional solutions that create the minimal social and political consensus required to transform the country.

For this reason, the Honduran Committee of Relatives of the Detained and Disappeared (COFADEH) urgently requests that solidarity groups and intergovernmental political forums publicly communicate political positions calling for an end to the disproportionate violence and repression that the militarized forces have launched against the civilian population – discontented, demanding, and in resistance — since the coup d’etat of June 2009.

In different geographic regions of Honduras the protests of the general population, in solidarity with the teachers’ resistance defending free public education, were repressed by excessive force that does not meet the requirements of the United Nations for the use of non-lethal weapons.

The National Civic Strike called by the National Front of Popular Resistance (FNRP) has left a tragic balance:


In San Pedro Sula, capital of the province of Cortes, the daughter of an ex-congresswoman from the Democratic Unification Party (UD), Silvia Ayala, was wounded during the violent eviction of students from the University Center of the Valley of Sula Campus of the National Autonomous University of Honduras, where dozens of students and professors were also detained.

A young student, Josue Rodriguez (20), was hit on the side of his head by his right ear by a metal tear gas canister fired by the policy into the interior of the university facility.

The installations of the regional University Center were surrounded by lines of police and soldiers impeding the exit of students and professors while they were being attacked by tear gas bombs fired directly at their bodies. Fainting and vomiting were caused by the inhalation of the gases.

In the municipalities of Santa Cruz de Yojoa, Potrerillos, La Lima and Choloma, in the province of Cortes, there were 43 people detained for participating in the Civic Strike; they were not freed from the police station until yesterday, Wednesday, during the night; in some cases they had marks from the beatings they received and gave testimony of insults and discriminatory remarks made to them.

At the highway turn-off to La Flores, Santa Cruz, in Cortes, (Police) Commissioner Rubi, nephew of the current Attorney General, unleashed a violent repression against the protest and ordered the detention of 17 people who were transferred to the First Police Station of San Pedro Sula. Among the detained were: Lidia Arita, Nedi Santos Castillo, Antonio Maradiaga and Glenda Cabrera. There were 6 people wounded by bullets, including Daisy Sabillon and Manuel Miranda, who were taken by private transport to the Mario Catarino Rivas Hospital in San Pedro Sula.

In addition, the riot police punctured the tires of more than 30 vehicles using their firearms and knives, then chased the owners with tear gas and gunfire while they sought refuge in the forested area of the locale.

In Potrerillo, a town in the province of Cortes, in the area of the Colonia El Triunfo 5 people were detained: with head wounds (Alejandro Duarte Garcia), blows to the legs (Luciano Barrera Monroy) and lesions on the thighs (Haydee Marquez del Cid; Junior Mejia Murillo and Gloria Marina Perdomo Rodriguez).

Lawyers Evaristo Euceda and Iris Bude, who were carrying out human rights defense work in the police station of Villanueva were verbally and physically assaulted by the police sub-inspector of the locale.

In the community of Tacamiche, a peasant settlement that belongs to the municipality of La Lima, Cortes, the repressive forces entered the settlement to fire toxic gases into the interiors of homes as revenge for the protest blockading the highway to the town of San Manuel and Villaneva, Cortes. The director of the community school, Professor Esmeralda Flores along with teachers, Favricio Sevilla and Pedro Valladares, were taken to the First Police Station of San Pedro Sula.


During the Civic Strike called for Wednesday, March 30 by the National Front of Popular Resistance (FNRP) one man died in the community of Planes, municipality of Tocoa, in the north of the country, as a consequence of the forced dispersal of protesters by the Police and military who used live ammunition against the populace. The man was a security guard for a poultry distribution business.

In the same town, located near the conflictive zone of the delta of the Aguan River – a scene of frequent disputes over land tenancy – 11 people were wounded by bullets; the wounded allegedly included peasants, educators and police.

Among those wounded by the gunfire were: Waldina Díaz, a teacher from Trujillo; Neptalí Esquivel, of the Nueva San Esteban peasant cooperative; Mauro Rosales of the Unified Campesino Movement of Aguan (MUCA); David Corea, television cameraman in  Olanchito; Juan Antonio Vásquez, president of the Bolero peasant cooperative ; Paulino Chávez Rosales and Franklin Hernández of the 4 de marzo peasant cooperative; Víctor Euceda of the 4 de febrero peasant cooperative; Daniel Pérez of the 4 de diciembre peasant cooperative; professors Elías Erazo Hernández and Eduardo Rivera, of the community of Los Leones, in the municipality of  Trujillo.

The detention of eight people, transferred to the Police Station in Saba, was also reported.

In the Central Region

In Tegucigalpa, capital city of Honduras, the National Autonomous University of Honduras was again the target of the combined forces of the police and army with hundreds of tear gas bombs launched into the interior of the campus from where students reacted by throwing rocks.

In the military incursión into a peripheral sector of the University there were 6 youth detained, accused of ilicit protest; they are Maynor Lizandro Aguilar (18), Marlon Alexander Rosales Rico (22), Douglas Manuel Flores (18); in addition, Oneyri Oneill Moreno Mejía of the Rainbow Collective (Colectivo Arco Iris), Marlon Nahúm Estrada, a taxi dispatcher at the university; Josué Sevilla and  Elwin Meza were beaten with night sticks. All of the detained were freed during the afternoon.  

Near the neighborhood of Las Brisas in South Tegucigalpa, three people were taken off a bus and taken to the Police Station of the neighborhood of La Granja, among them were two minors, Emerson Stevez Flores (15), Victor Geovanny Flores (14) and also Wilfredo Flores Aguilar (33), they were freed three hours alter their detention.

Before midday, six heavily armed men dressed in civilian clothes and carrying handcuffs tried to kidnap a young man, Eddy Guifarro, an employee of the Commission of Truth (Comisión de Verdad) when the taxi in which he was traveling stopped apparently due to traffic in the San Jose de la Vega neighborhood. The individuals surrounded the taxi, beating him on his body and head with their weapons, but Eddy was able to escape by running around the vehicles that were crowded around; the individuals followed him and fired 6 times, without giving any thought to the risk of wounding the people in the area. Guifarro suffered a ruptured ear drum and head wounds from the incident.

In the offices of the College of Professors of Middle Education (COPEMH), police intelligence agents attempted to plant evidence against the teachers’ organization resulting in the “discovery” and report to the Ministry of the Attorney General that a box of molotov cocktails was found in the public trash close to the center. The general coordinator of COFADEH classified the action as fabrication of evidence in an attempt to strip the organization of its legal status

In the Municipality of Ajuterique, in the province of Comayagua, 500 families that had taken possession of an area of land seven years ago, naming their community Colonia 25 de October, were violently evicted by elements of the police and army, who were accompanied by a judge. Their houses were destroyed, as well as the community school and the church. Five people were detained, Betuel Guillen (19), Edwin Guillen (18), Pedro Joel Hernández, Selvin Javier Centeno y Osmán Gómez (19).

In the South of the country

In Nacaome, capital of the department of Valle, the police and army also launched a cruel repression firing tear gas into the interior of homes in which there were children who were severely affected. A 2-month-old baby, Cristopher de Jesús Bonilla García, was taken to a medical facility with symptoms of asphyxiation after evading the police who were impeding the parents from getting help, firing tear gas directly at their bodies. The father, a 17 years old young man, had to jump over a wall and give mouth to mouth resuscitation to the inert baby and then place him in the arms of his grandmother, who by motorcycle was able to take him to a doctor who helped him.

In the repression, two minors, Mario de Jesús Sauceda (19) y José Raúl Mendoza Posadas (17) were also pursued and detained, the latter had been sent to to buy groceries by his mother. Human rights defender, Andres Abelino Ortiz Ortega (74) was also detained for several minutes.

In the community of La Flor, municipality of Amapala in the department of Valle, police agents travelling by boat arrived at the community to intimidate the residents, demanding that they tell them if they were a part of the Resistance protest during the Civic Strike.

These are reports of events of a single day, nonetheless, the tendency is that as the protests continue the pattern of aggression against the people and their human rights will continue being the same for those accused of “sedition and illicit demonstrations”.

The preceding days have been characterized by escalating institutional violence, leading to the logical deduction that the coming days will bring, in addition to the combined forces of the police and army, armed civilian infiltrators employed to provoke the demonstrators into confrontations ending in massacres.

It is urgent that the world now turns its eyes again towards Honduras; tomorrow may be too late.

For the deeds and the perpetrators, neither forget nor forgive.


March 31, 2011

—– Forwarded Message —-
From: Bertha Oliva <berthacofadeh@yahoo.com>
Sent: Thu, March 31, 2011 7:18:08 PM
Subject: HONDURAS: continúan en emergencia los DDHH

Comité de Familiares de Detenidos Dsaparecidos en Honduras

HONDURAS: continúan en emergencia los DDHH




Antes de la breve pausa con aparente estabilidad hoy jueves 31 de marzo, por el conversatorio entre el Congreso Nacional y la dirigencia de la Federación de Organizaciones Magisteriales de Honduras (FOMH), la ciudadanía ha padecido el peor período de violaciones a sus derechos humanos. Un estado de emergencia, sin duda, que implica a la policía y al ejército del régimen de facto que dirige el país.


Los hechos sucedidos en forma sistemática desde hace tres semanas, con participación directa del aparato administrativo del Estado y los instrumentos de monopolio de la violencia — la Policía Nacional y el Ejército–, han atraído de nuevo en forma leve la atención internacional sobre Honduras.


Todavía muy insuficiente la mirada de la comunidad mundial sobre la crisis generada por el golpismo en el país, pero  es clave para hilvanar soluciones institucionales que generen consensos sociales y políticos mínimos para transformar el país.


Por eso, el Comité de Familiares de Detenidos Desaparecidos en Honduras, COFADEH, solicita con urgencia la emisión de posicionamientos políticos desde  los distintos espacios de solidaridad y de los foros políticos interestatales, para que cese la violencia y represión desproporcionados que las fuerzas militarizadas lanzan contra la población civil descontenta, demandante, en resistencia desde el golpe de estado de junio 2009.


En las diferentes regiones geográficas del país las manifestaciones de la población en general, en solidaridad con la resistencia magisterial que defiende la educación pública gratuita, fueron reprimidas con uso excesivo de fuerza, incumpliendo especificaciones de Naciones Unidas para el uso de armas no letales.


El Paro Cívico Nacional convocado por el Frente Nacional de Resistencia Popular, FNRP, ha dejado un balance trágico:



En San Pedro Sula, cabecera del departamento de Cortés, la hija de la ex diputada por el Partido Unificación Democrática, Silvia Ayala, fue herida durante el violento desalojo de estudiantes del Centro Universitario del Valle de Sula, donde también hubo decenas de estudiantes y docentes detenidos.


El joven estudiante Josué Rodríguez (20), fue impactado al lado de su oreja derecha por un cilindro metálico con gases, lanzado por la policía al interior del inmueble universitario. 

Las instalaciones del Centro Regional Universitario fueron rodeadas por piquetes de policías y soldados, para impedir la salida del estudiantado y docentes, mientras eran agredidos con bombas lacrimógenas lanzadas directamente a los cuerpos, provocando desmayos y vómitos por la inhalación de gases.


En los municipios de Santa Cruz de Yojoa, Potrerillos, La Lima y Choloma, Cortés, hubo 43 personas detenidas por participar en el Paro Cívico, siendo liberadas de las postas policiales hasta entrada la noche de ayer miércoles, con señales de golpes en algunos casos y testimonios de insultos y frases discriminatorias.


En el desvío Las Flores, Santa Cruz, departamento de Cortés, el Comisionado Rubí, sobrino del actual Fiscal General, desató una violenta represión contra la manifestación y ordenó la detención de  17 personas, que fueron trasladadas a la Primera Estación Policial de San Pedro Sula, entre ellas Lidia Arita, Nedi Santos Castillo, Antonio Maradiaga y Glenda Cabrera. En este lugar hubo seis personas heridas de bala, entre ellas Daisy Sabillón y Manuel Miranda, trasladados por particulares al Hospital Mario Catarino Rivas, de San Pedro Sula.


Las fuerzas antimotines, además, poncharon las llantas de más de 30 vehículos, utilizando sus armas de fuego y cuchillos, y persiguieron con gases lacrimógenos y disparos a sus propietarios que se refugiaron en la zona boscosa del lugar.


En Potrerillos, municipio del departamento de Cortés, a la altura de la Colonia El Triunfo, fueron detenidas 5 personas, quienes fueron lesionadas en la cabeza (Alejandro Duarte García), golpes en las piernas (Luciano Barrera Monroy); y lesiones en sus muslos (Haydee Márquez del Cid, Junior Mejía Murillo y Gloria Marina Perdomo Rodríguez).


Los abogados Evaristo Euceda e Iris Bude, quienes realizaban acciones de defensa de derechos humanos en la posta policial de Villanueva,  fueron agredidos verbal y físicamente por el sub inspector policial de esa localidad.


En la comunidad de Tacamiche, asentamiento campesino perteneciente al municipio de La Lima, Cortés, las fuerzas represivas entraron a disparar gases tóxicos al interior de las viviendas en venganza por la toma de la carretera hacia el municipio de San Manuel y Villanueva, Cortés. La directora de la Escuela de la comunidad, Profesora Esmeralda Flores, junto con los maestros Fabricio Sevilla y Pedro Valladares, fueron trasladados a la Primera Estación Policial de San Pedro Sula.



Durante el Paro Cívico convocado el miércoles 30 de marzo por el FNRP fue muerto un hombre en la comunidad de Planes, municipio de Tocoa, en el norte del país, como consecuencia de la disolución forzada de las manifestaciones por la Policía y los militares, utilizando balas vivas contra la población. Era un guardia de seguridad de una empresa distribuidora de pollos.


En ese mismo lugar, ubicado cerca de la zona conflictiva del delta del río Aguán – escenario de frecuentes disputas por la tenencia de la tierra – fueron heridas de bala 11 personas incluyendo labriegos, educadores y supuestamente policías.


Entre las personas heridas de bala fueron identificadas la profesora Waldina Díaz, maestra de Trujillo; Neptalí Esquivel, de la cooperativa campesina Nueva San Esteban; Mauro Rosales del Movimiento Unificado del Aguán (MUCA); David Corea, camarógrafo de la televisión de Olanchito; Juan Antonio Vásquez, presidente de la empresa campesina Bolero; Paulino Chávez Rosales y Franklin Hernández de la Cooperativa campesina 4 de marzo; Víctor Euceda de la Cooperativa campesina 4 de febrero; Daniel Pérez de la Cooperativa campesina 4 de diciembre; profesores Elías Erazo Hernández y Eduardo Rivera, de la comunidad de los Leones, Municipio de Trujillo.


También se reportó la detención de ocho personas que fueron trasladadas a la Jefatura Policial de Sabá.


En la Región Central

En Tegucigalpa, ciudad capital de Honduras, la Universidad Nacional Autónoma de Honduras, nuevamente fue blanco de las fuerzas combinadas de la policía y el ejército, con centenares de bombas lacrimógenas lanzadas al interior del campus, desde donde reaccionaron los estudiantes lanzando piedras.


En la incursión militar a un sector periférico de la Universidad fueron detenidos seis jóvenes acusados por manifestación ilícita, ellos son Maynor Lizandro Aguilar (18), Marlon Alexander Rosales Rico (22), Douglas Manuel Flores (18); además, Oneyri Oneill Moreno Mejía del Colectivo Arco Iris, Marlon Nahúm Estrada, despachador de taxis en la UNAH;  Josué Sevilla y Elwin Meza fueron golpeados con toletes en su espalda. Todos fueron liberados durante la tarde.


En las cercanías de la colonia Las Brisas, sur de Tegucigalpa, fueron bajadas tres personas de un autobús y llevadas detenidas a la Estación Policial del Barrio La Granja, entre ellos dos menores de edad, Emerson Stevez Flores (15), Víctor Geovanny Flores (14), y Wilfredo Flores Aguilar (33), liberados tres horas después de su detención.


Antes del mediodía, seis hombres vestidos de civil y fuertemente armados, intentaron secuestrar al joven Edy Guifarro, empleado de la Comisión de Verdad, cuando el taxi en que se conducía hizo un alto a la altura de la Colonia San José de la Vega. Los individuos rodearon la unidad de transporte, le golpearon su cuerpo y cabeza con las armas, pero Edy  logró escapar corriendo cerca de los vehículos que se aglomeraron; los policías le siguieron y le dispararon en 6 ocasiones, sin importarles que pudieran lesionar a las personas que se encontraban en la zona. Guifarro presenta ruptura del tímpano y golpes en el cráneo.


En la sede del Colegio de Profesores de Educación Media de Honduras, COPEMH, agentes policiales de inteligencia intentaron plantar evidencia contra esta organización magisterial al “descubrir” y reportar al Ministerio Público una caja de bombas molotov depositadas en el basurero público próximo a la sede. La coordinadora general del COFADEH, Bertha Oliva, calificó la acción como una pre-fabricación de evidencias para despojar a la organización de su personalidad jurídica.


En el Municipio de Ajuterique, departamento de Comayagua, 500 familias que habían tomado posesión de un predio desde hace siete años, al que han denominado Colonia 25 de Octubre, fueron desalojadas violentamente por elementos de la policía y del ejército, acompañados de un Juez ejecutor, destruyendo las casas que tenían en el lugar, incluyendo la escuela y la iglesia de la comunidad. Fueron detenidas cinco personas, Betuel Guillen (19), Edwin Guillen (18), Pedro Joel Hernández, Selvin Javier Centeno y Osmán Gómez (19).


En el Sur del país

En Nacaome, cabecera del departamento de Valle, también la policía y el ejército lanzó una cruenta represión con gases lacrimógenos al interior de viviendas en las que se encontraban niños y niñas, quienes fueron afectados severamente. Un bebé de dos meses de nacido, Cristopher de Jesús Bonilla García, fue trasladado con cuadro de asfixia a un centro asistencial, después de sortear a la policía que impedía a sus padres prestarle auxilio lanzándoles gases lacrimógenos directamente a sus cuerpos. Su padre, un joven de diecisiete años, tuvo que saltar un muro, darle respiración boca a boca al niño inerte y depositarlo, luego, en brazos de su abuelo, quien a bordo de una motocicleta pudo llevarlo hasta un médico que lo auxilió.


En la represión también fueron perseguidos y detenidos los menores  Mario de Jesús Sauceda (19) y José Raúl Mendoza Posadas (17), este último se encontraba comprando alimentos por encargo de su madre. Igualmente, fue detenido durante varios minutos el defensor de derechos humanos, Andrés Abelino Ortiz Ortega (74).


En la comunidad de La Flor, del municipio de Amapala, departamento de Valle, agentes policiales que se transportaban en lanchas, se presentaron a la comunidad a intimidar a sus pobladores, exigiéndoles informaran si eran de la Resistencia manifestante durante el Paro Cívico.

Este es el reporte de hechos de un solo día; sin embargo, la tendencia es que al continuar las manifestaciones, el patrón de agresión a las personas, a sus derechos humanos, continuará siendo el mismo “por sedición y manifestación ilícita”.


Los días precedentes han sido caracterizados por la violencia institucional escalonada, por lo que es lógico deducir que los días venideros tendrán además de las fuerzas combinadas de la policía ay el ejército a civiles infiltrados con armas para provocar a los manifestantes a enfrentamientos, que acabarían en masacres.


Es urgente que el mundo vuelva sus ojos de nuevo a Honduras, ahora; mañana puede ser tarde.


De los hechos y de los hechores, ni olvido ni perdón



31 de marzo de 2011




Barrio La Plazuela , Avenida Cervantes, Casa No. 1301


Apartado Postal 1243                                                                    E-mail: mail@cofadeh.org                                         

Tel / Fax: (504) 2220- 5280  2220- 7147                                          Sitio Web: www.cofadeh.org